I’ve seen these Running in 2012 Q&As pop up around the Internets, started by Miss Zippy, and thought it’d be fun to play along.
1. Best Race Experience: Marine Corps Marathon
I know you’re shocked about this one. While it wasn’t my smartest race ever, and I didn’t meet my sub-4 goal, I’m still really proud of this race. I pushed myself really hard and through a ton of discomfort and even pulled out quite a few sub-9 miles…DURING A MARATHON. I never thought I’d be able to do that.
2. Best Run: 10/7: 22 miler. This was my longest run before MCM, and it was a huge confidence-builder. I was shocked with myself that I ran 22 miles at a 9:28 pace and I felt much more ready for MCM after this.
3. Best new piece of gear: New Balance 1400s.
I am fully in love with these shoes from both a looks and a performance standpoint. They’re technically racing flats, and they’re super-light (5.7 ounces) without being so minimialist that they are difficult to get used to. I got them from my awesome client a week before the marathon, and I brought them down to DC for the Army Ten-Miler and was able to rock them right away.
4. Best piece of running advice you received: This came from Ericka during Marine Corps–”It hurts because you’re pushing yourself.” (This is not to be confused with severe pain but rather the extreme discomfort you find yourself in pushing yourself during a marathon.)
5. Most Inspirational Runner(s): One of them would be that girl Ericka up there who ran 3 marathons within 6 weeks. Another would be my buddy Laura who runs marathons like they ain’t no thang. But I’ve been most inspired by Jocelyn, who went from a 4:25 marathon in May, to a 4:03 marathon in October to a 3:50 marathon in November and who has an infectiously enthusiastic attitude towards running.
6. If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Emotional, intense…but still awesome, despite some dark patches.
7. Most exciting (running) moment of 2012: Being included in Runner’s World’s roundup of runners to follow on Twitter. The former fat kid in me is still wondering how this happened.
Tell me about your best running moments of 2012! And your running goals for 2013…or life. Link to your 2012 in Running post, if you’ve done one, in les comments.